Ayamase also known as Ofada or Designer stew is a tasty, popular dish predominantly eaten amongst the Ijebu Yoruba tribe from Southwest Nigeria. It’s made with green Paprika peppers, assorted Goat meat, Stock fish/Smoked fish/Cray fish, Palm oil and green/red hot Scotch bonnet or Habanero peppers. Most people also add Boiled Egg as an accompaniment to the dish
Ayamase can be served with White rice, Bean or Beans and rice.
See below a guide on how to cook this delicious dish…
- Cook all the meat and fish with the stock cube till well done.
- Boil eggs till hard, peel and place in fridge.
- Brown assorted meat in the oven (Optional).
- Pour the pepper blend into a separate pot, season well, add your stock-fish and cook on high heat till all the water dries up.
- Pour the red palm oil into a clean dry pot and bleach till it turns clear.
- Leave the oil to cool completely then add to the cooked pepper puree.
- Cook on medium heat stirring frequently for about 30 minutes.
- Add your assorted meats to your sauce and simmer on low heat for a further 15-20 minutes.
- Add boiled eggs and gently shake the pot to ensure your eggs are fully submerged in the sauce.